Monday, January 25, 2016

Death of a McDonald's

Toward the latter part of October 2015, I was browsing through photos of a Flickr contact of mine who had just uploaded photos of a recently-closed McDonald's on the east side of Cincinnati.  Property records show it being built in 1984.  I'm the type of person who likes to take their own photos of stuff, so I decided to pay a visit in late October (the 26th).

When I visited the first time, there were some people in the building doing final closing-up activities, so I didn't want to venture too close to the building.  I was a little disappointed that I drove all the way there and couldn't get too close, but something is better than nothing.
Eastgate McDonald's, days after closing
the parking lot was blocked off and activity was still going on inside
a very unique shed on the property; many weren't as elaborate
playground equipment and the roof sign, heaped onto the patio

Most notable about the whole closing process was the treatment of the signage...it wasn't simply removed and carted away.  The posts were cut off and the signs were shoved to the ground and smashed to pieces in the name of asset protection.  The drive-through boards received the same treatment.  In fact, the parking lot lights and flagpole were also sawn off above the bases.
McSign McCarnage...
In any case, because of the activity going on, I snapped a few quick photos and then left.

One week later I decided to make another visit in hopes of getting more and better photos.  That ended up paying off, as the lot was empty.  I was able to take some better photos of the outside and some through-the-window shots.

remnants of the drive-through
one of McDonald's two sign corpses was dragged to the drive-through lane
labelscar from the McDonald's sign.  Shame they painted the brick; I always liked the look of unpainted brick
looking into what appears to be an indoor play area
looking in through one of the front windows
looking through drive-through window #1
looking through drive-through window #2
looking through one of the side windows
For whatever reason I ended up skipping a week in visiting this place.  Maybe I decided that I had enough photos and didn't need to return.  Whatever the reason, something told me to go back on the 16th of November.  Upon my return, I was a little surprised by what I saw...but only a little.  It used to be that when McDonald's relocated to a nearby location, the building is re-roofed and made to look less McDonalds-like and then marketed to other businesses.  Lately, though, it seems like most of the buildings are torn down.  The latter was the case here.  And like my first visit, someone was around; this time the excavator operator was still in the machine.  I snapped a few photos and left.
no more McDonald's here :(


Not satisfied with being unable to walk the site one last time, I made a fourth visit a week later.  By that time, there was very little left of the building.  There were a few traces left of what once was, but not many.
The playplace would have been right here
the former location of drive-through window #1
looking toward where the rear of the building used to be.  Drive-through window #2 would have been to my left.
former front and entrance side of McDonald's
an overview of the building's former location.  I was standing in the playplace area.
finally, a parting shot.  Looking at what would have been the rear of the building.

More photos can be found here: former McDonald's, Eastgate/Cincinnati, OH on Flickr

This blog post should not be used as a placemat.  Bits of food may become stuck in the crevices and cause an unsanitary condition.

2 comments:

  1. I loved seeing this photoset! How do you embed the photos from flickr onto blogger?

    And lol at the fine print :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Despite the outcome, this was a fun one to follow.

      I will get with you on photo embedding. It's not particularly difficult, just tedious (and even then, it isn't THAT bad)

      Delete