Friday, January 29, 2016

A little brother to the Eastgate McDonald's

In what is most likely going to be a rare occurrence for Ryan Road, I am presenting you with my SECOND post IN ONE WEEK!  I figured I'd be lucky to post an update every month or two, but today was just one of those days and I figured what the hey.

As I'm writing this sentence I realized this is the perfect follow-up to this week's earlier post.  Back in December 2015, I was out toward the I-275 & US 127 interchange on the north side of town chasing after something else when I happened across this McDonald's:

Upon seeing it, I was immediately reminded of the Eastgate McDonald's that I posted earlier this week.  I dug up some property records and found out that the two restaurants were both built the same year, 1984.  This one is slightly smaller at 4612 square feet, vs. Eastgate's 4946.  I realize that there are a few differences between the two, but the resemblance is quite striking.

This place did not have an indoor playplace and I don't think the front patio was ever anything else.  When I took a look at the property records, the image they have on file from 1992 doesn't show any type of play equipment outside.  The next image is from 2003 and there was nothing other than tables there even then.

So, faced with a day of feeling blah, I decided it was time to pay this McDonald's a lunchtime visit and scope out the interior.  Thankfully it was before noon and not very busy, so I was able to get some photographic documentation of this great-looking restaurant.

My favorite part of this is the solarium.  It was nice being able to eat in the sun without freezing my tail off.

The decor wasn't anything spectacular, but it's a nice throwback to the classic fast-food restaurant look.


There were just enough people there, including the custodian who really takes his job seriously (and I mean that in a positive way), so interior photos were not necessarily as many as I would have liked.  Even still, what I do have pretty well captures the restaurant.  Even though I don't spend much time out this way, it'll still be a sad day when/if this is stripped of all its character...er, I mean, "modernized."

More photos can be found here: McDonald's, Waycross Rd, Cincinnati, OH on Flickr

This blog post requires no refrigeration

No comments:

Post a Comment